Sod Watering and Aftercare
Sod Installation and Aftercare
Sod Watering and Aftercare
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MONITOR YOUR NEW SOD DAILY
CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY IF THERE ARE
SIGNS OF STRESS OR IF YOU HAVE CONCERNS
(970) 568-7633 or (720) 262-3818
MOST ISSUES CAN BE CORRECTED WHEN ADDRESSED EARLY!
- IMMEDIATELY AFTER INSTALLATION – You will want to water for 30 to 60 minutes to soak your new lawn and the underlying soil. Do not wait! The dry soil will “wick” moisture out of the rolls and cause browning. Do not allow activity on the newly laid sod.
- FOR WEEKS 1 & 2 – Water twice per day. Watering amounts can vary based on weather and irrigation methods. It is recommended to water a minimum of 20 minutes per cycle and zone. If temperatures are going to be warm, increase the watering time. If no irrigation system, water 30 to 60 minutes per cycle and area. Keep all foot traffic to a minimum. Keep all pet and other activity off.
- FOR WEEK 3 & 4 – Reduce watering to once per day in the morning. Maintain a minimum of 20 minutes per day. Keep all recreation and pet activity to a minimum and avoid any excessive use.
- The best time to water is early in the morning and late in the evening. Avoid watering during the heat of the day.
EVERY irrigation system is different so you MUST adjust your watering based upon your daily inspection of your new sod and the soil.
- The roll should remain moist for the first month
- Lift up on a roll, if roll and/or ground is dry, increase your watering times
- Lift up on a roll, if roll and/or ground is “swampy,” decrease your watering times
MOWING – Do not mow for the first three weeks. You want the sod rolls to firmly root before mowing.
- For the first three mowings, cut at the highest setting on your mower.
- Lower each subsequent mow – training your grass to be cut shorter.
- Never cut more than 1/3 of the grass blades with any one cutting.
FERTILIZATION – As with all lawns, a fertilization program will encourage establishing and maintaining
thicker and healthier lawn. It is recommended four times per year.
- Early Spring (March/April)
- Late Spring (May/June)
- Mid-summer (July/Aug)
- Fall (Sept/Oct).
- ALWAYS use a season appropriate fertilizer.
As part of creating a healthy lawn it is also suggested to apply routine weed control application to minimize unwanted and competing plants.
DISCLAIMER: Although our sods are derived from the most modern and stress resistant seed varieties, there are some hazards that inhibit the longevity and proper growth of a living plant. These stressors can include but are not limited to: weeds blowing in during turf dormancy, extreme drought without proper watering (including the winter and colder months when irrigation is off), pet waste and continuous and repeated wear on the same areas, over or underwatering during aftercare.
We Serve More Than Just Colorado
Our Colorado-based sod farm serves more than just the Colorado front range!
Our sod services spread into Wyoming, South Dakota, New Mexico and more.
Get a Free Sod Quote Today
Happy to Help! (970) 568-7633
Wellington: (970) 568-7633 (Phone or Text)
Denver: (720) 262-3818 (Phone or Text)
Toll Free: (844) 285-5606.
Top Notch sod Delivery, sod installation, Professional Experience, Convenient Pickup Service.